Auto Burglary / Theft of Property From a Vehicle
How Can Your Complacency Affect Crime?
The three elements needed to commit a crime are desire, ability, and opportunity. Complacency creates opportunity and ability. If you can remove the opportunity or ability, you can help prevent the crime.
What Items Are Most Commonly Stolen from Vehicles?
- Garage door openers
- Gym bags
- Cell phones (& chargers)
- CDs and CD cases
- Palm Pilots
- Stereos and faceplates
- Wallets (even if under seat or in console)
What Steps Can I Take To Prevent Becoming a Victim?
This is what your car looks like to a thief!
- Remove visible items from your vehicle. If you leave items visible in your car, you are a target. Be aware that someone may be watching as you put a wallet, purse, or cell phone under your seat, especially at a gym. Take these with you.
- Lock Up!
- Lock your vehicle and take your keys, even for quick errands or in your driveway.
- Lock the trunk, hatchback or tailgate to block access into the car.
- Close all windows, including vent or wing windows and sunroofs.
- Park Safely!
- At home, park in your garage if you have one. Lock your car and all garage doors.
- Park in a well-lighted area.
- Check to see that your vehicle is visible from pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
Click here for more information about the Borough of Glen Rock.